Guest: Wendy Kam Marcy
What she does: digital marketer and lifestyle blogger
Ponderance: How do you make money online while still being authentic and respectful of your readers?
Find her online: hipurbangirl.com
On today’s show, I talk to Wendy Kam Marcy, a lifestyle blogger and digital marketer, about online advertising and how to successfully monetize a website.
Click to tweet: "When it comes to blogging, it’s always readers first. They can make or break you.” -Wendy Kam Marcy
Wendy co-founded the popular lifestyle blog “Hip & Urban Girl”, as well as Adfluent Media, an ad agency that specializes in digital strategy and affiliate marketing. She has worked with over 50 big-name brands and has a long list of connections in the advertising world. As both a blogger and a marketer, Wendy has keen insight into what it takes to advertise websites via different methods and platforms. Listen in as we discuss different approaches to monetization.
- Starting her blog for friends and family about a love for food and travel in Toronto
- Affiliate Marketing
- Paid social media marketing
- Sponsored content: how it works, and how to attract sponsors
- The morality of sponsored content
- The dilemma of turning down a lucrative sponsor
- Writing what you’re passionate about
- The importance of consistency
- Seeking out sponsors and being proactive
- Google AdWords and how it works
- Ways to advertise your products and services
- Is professional marketing help necessary?
- Common mistakes people make when trying to promote their sites